At Linguistics from University of Canterbury students carry out a substantial research project with guidance from a supervisor.
Graduates of the Master in Linguistics will be highly trained in the theories and contemporary methodologies of Linguistics and skillful in a range of complementary analytical, critical, and linguistic skills. These will include an understanding of:
- the internal structure of language and languages, including knowledge of phonetics, phonology, and syntax
- the relationship between English and other languages, including te reo Māori
- key geographical and social determinants of variation in language
- the role of language in constructing individual and group identities
- how language produces and reflects cultural change and difference.
- The English Language
- Language and Society in New Zealand and Beyond
- Basics of Language for Language Learners
- European Languages in Europe and Beyond
- Language Variation Across Space and Time
- The Sounds of Speech
- Systems of Words and Sounds in Language
- Sentence Structure
- Forensic Linguistics
- Topics in Syntactic Theory
- Topics in Phonetics and Phonology
- History of English
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Candidates can start at any time throughout the year.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 74 other Masters in Languages in New Zealand
The prerequisite for enrolment for an MA in Linguistics is a BA(Hons) in Linguistics.
A first-class or upper second-class Honours grade will normally be required.
International23037 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23037 USD per year during 12 months.
National5484 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5484 USD per year during 12 months.
- National Students - 7,618 NZD
- International Students - 40,800 NZD
Living costs for Christchurch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.