Courses are exclusively taught in English. German language skills are not required.
The North American Studies program at Freie Universität Berlin combines academic training in six academic disciplines with interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Besides studies in two of the six following disciplines – cultural studies, economics, history, literary studies, political science and sociology – the curriculum includes courses taught by two faculty members with different disciplinary backgrounds.
- The curriculum further entails lecture series focusing on a specific issue by researchers of all disciplines taught at the JFKI. No other American/Canadian studies program in German offers a comparable breadth of disciplines devoted to the North American hemisphere.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- North America in the World
- North American History until 1865
- North American History since 1865
- American History of Ideas and Theories of American Culture
- Culture of Nationality and Diversity
- Cultural History of Individual Media and Aesthetic Forms of Representation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Modern History American Studies View 80 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree in one of the following subjects: North American studies, history, cultural studies, literature, political science, sociology, economics, or in an interdisciplinary subject with at least 90 credit points in one of the aforementioned subjects.
- Proof of English skills (level C1 CEFR).
International600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 300 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 300 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Students do not pay tuition fees. The university only charges semester fees each semester. The fees of approx. 300 Euros per semester.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.