Starting with a cliché, Istanbul is a unique city where you can experience both the European and Asian culture. This would be the most attractive and common statement when you search “study in Istanbul” on the internet.
Istanbul is a fascinating place not only because it’s placed on two different continents, but also because it has an ancient history, is a synthesis of civilizations, and has various other names like Constantinople. So, what can attract you to study in Istanbul?
Is it the unique Bosphorus? Is it the famous universities with a centuries-long history? Is it the vivacious nightlife? Is it the young population? Is it the chaos of traffic, the people or the bustling markets? Is it the easygoing, hospitable and helpful people? Is it the friendly charm of the city, even though it can be crowded and complicated?
Whatever it is, Istanbul is bound to offer you an intense and memorable study experience. Let's find out more about what you can study and how you can have fun as a student in Istanbul.
Istanbul universities offer modern facilities and research centres
Some of the best and popular universities in Istanbul are:
- Koc University
- Bahçesehir University
- Istanbul Aydin University
- Istanbul Sehir University
- Sabanci University
These universities welcome thousands of international students every year, have great campus facilities and all of them engage in top-notch research. Koc University, for instance, has several research centres that study the development of new drugs, energy and social policies.
Within Istanbul Sehir University, you can get involved in research in areas like engineering, communications or even urban design.
What can you study in Istanbul?
Universities in Istanbul offer a large number of English-taught programmes, particularly at the postgraduate level. All fields of study are available in various Istanbul universities, whether you’re interested in sciences, humanities or even arts.
Here are a few examples of study programmes you can apply to in Istanbul:
- Master's degrees in Architecture
- Master's degrees in Computer Science
- Master's degrees in Engineering
- Master's degrees in Political Science
- Master's degrees in Finance
- Master's degrees in MBA
- Master's degrees in Design
Become friends with cheerful people
Istanbul has been hosting many different civilizations, cultures and religions in the last centuries. You will definitely widen your political as well as for your religious horizon. But most of all, you will encounter hospitable people, who are always interested in knowing more about your country and culture.
Don’t be afraid to bargain
As you know, Istanbul is the place to bargain…for almost anything. If you don’t bargain with a salesperson, you don’t fit in the portrait. Try it at least for fun, even if it’s not your style. It's a great way to discover what barter is all about and who knows, you might actually end up enjoying it.
Put on weight because of delicious Turkish cuisine
In Istanbul, you won't be hungry even if you are Muslim, a big meat eater or a vegetarian. Turkish cuisine is more than just kebab. Local restaurants serve numerous types of soup, rice, different cheese options, and meat dishes accompanied by fruit. And let’s not forget the sweet baklava, lokum (also known as Turkish delights) and plenty of other unique tastes to try. If you're in the Grand Bazaar, stop off for lunch or dinner.
Some of the most stunning sightseeing places in the world
Although you have to be very careful when you walk on the streets of Istanbul as you can easily get lost, there is no street corner or a single spot you won’t find interesting.
- Step into the intriguing Turkish history and visit famous mosques like Hagia Sophia, the Mosque of Suleyman and the Topkapi Palace just to see how the Ottoman sultans used to live.
- Have a unique shopping experience and walk through one of the numerous bazaars, such as Gultepe Bazaar and taste and admire products, from thousands of spices to leather purses.
- Have a walk with the ferry boats, crossing the continent while you are sipping your Turkish black tea in a typical tulip shaped glass.
- Make a one-day trip to Prince’s Island to escape the bustling city atmosphere and indulge yourself in relaxing activities, like walks, shopping or a picnic.
All in all, Istanbul welcomes you every time! Not only for studying but also for having fun and travelling. Istanbul is a great place to visit!