And now, it’s time to look at the actual university application process, which is pretty straightforward. Just follow these steps:
1. Find a Saudi Arabian university to apply to
If you’ve already picked a university, feel free to skip this section. But if you haven’t, start by checking out some of the top-ranked universities in Saudi Arabia:
- King Abdulaziz University (KAU)
- King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM)
- Alfaisal University
- King Saud University
Find other universities in Saudi Arabia.
2. Learn where to submit your university application
Universities in Saudi Arabia provide an application form and all the information you need on their websites. Before submitting any documents, we recommend double-checking for errors, missing information, or spelling mistakes.
Learn how to fill in a university application form correctly.
3. Meet the university entry requirements
The list below includes some (but not all) of the most common admission criteria at Saudi Arabian universities:
- filled-in online application form
- proof of paying the application fee (if applicable)
- high school diploma (to apply for a Bachelor’s)
- Bachelor’s diploma (to apply for a Master’s)
- transcript of records
- proof of English proficiency
- proof of financial resources (to live and study there)
- medical certificate
- passport-sized photo(s)
- copy of valid passport and/or personal ID
- letter(s) of recommendation
- personal statement
- GRE, GMAT, or PGAT (only for some study programmes)
Good to know: some universities in Saudi Arabia can also set age limits for their degrees. For example, students should be under 25 to apply for undergraduate studies (Bachelors) or under 30 for graduate/postgraduate studies (Masters).
4. Meet the language requirements
All international students who want to enrol in an English-taught degree need to prove their level of language proficiency. To do this, universities ask them to pass one of these popular English language tests:
Learn more about IELTS vs TOEFL vs PTE Academic.
5. Apply before the application deadlines
In Saudi Arabia, application deadlines vary significantly from one higher education institution to another:
King Abdulaziz University – you can apply anytime (ongoing application), but most study programmes begin in September.
King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals – has two intake periods:
- autumn intake: you need to apply before February; courses start in September (same year)
- spring intake: you need to apply before September; courses start in January (next year)
Alfaisal University – you should apply before July, as most study programmes start in August.
These are only a couple of examples to give you a general idea. You should always check the official dates on the university website because deadlines can change every year.
6. Final steps after receiving your acceptance letter
- confirm your enrolment after receiving the acceptance letter/university offer
- apply for a student visa in Saudi Arabia
- apply for medical insurance
- search for scholarships and grants. You can also apply for our Studyportals Scholarship: International Distinction Awards.