Well, will you look at that!
Because you're a national of United Kingdom, you'll be thrilled to discover that you don't need a visa to study in Latvia. Rejoice!
Still, that doesn't mean you can just pack up and leave for Latvia. You will still need to arrange a few things:
- Health insurance. This means you have to do some research to find out if you have to pay it beforehand, or if you're required to have a certain amount of insurance coverage per year;
- Money for tuition and living costs. This may vary depending on your chosen university, the degree programme you decided to study in, or, even, the region and city in Latvia;
- Residence permit. This will have to be renewed every one or two years. So, pay attention to that, and mark it with red in your calendar. You'll be able to apply for the residence permit once you get a fixed address in Latvia. Make sure you provide all the required documents and leave enough time to wait for your permit;
- Awesome on-campus accommodation. You can easily rent an apartment with other students, and spend the next three years debating who should wash which dishes.
- Your plane ticket. The sooner you book it, the less you'll have to pay for it.
Sure, those won't be that easy to get. But, hey! - at least you skipped the student visa part, so that's something, isn't it?
Don't forget you are also allowed to work during your studies. Usually, students who are EU-nationals studying in an EU-country don't have any work restrictions. Others are generally allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week. Just make sure to check what the law in Latvia has to say about that before looking for a job.
What else can we say but: good luck and never forget to have fun during your studies!
Famous for its "green gold" forests and for giving us jeans, Latvia has always been a hidden gem among Europe's countries, with Riga, Latvia's capital, being one of the most popular destinations for international students worldwide.
If this sounds great to you, then be sure to check out some of the top study options in Latvia, like Engineering and Technology, and Business and Management.