This rigorous 10-month program provides a thorough foundation for teaching and pairs challenging coursework with student teaching across the school year to support candidates in developing the disposition, knowledge,and experience to thrive in diverse school settings.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program in Mathematics Education at the University of Pittsburgh offers students a rigorous course of instruction in teaching Mathematics in grades 7-12, combining methodological course work and practical experience in a full-year internship in a public school classroom. Capstone courses that support learning from teaching culminate in a reflective teaching portfolio and project.
- Secondary Mathematics MAT alumni are employed as high school and middle school mathematics teachers in public and independent schools in Pittsburgh, across Pennsylvania and around the country.
- As they gain experience, some of our graduates have become teacher leaders and coaches, and have returned to obtain leadership degrees, such as the practice-based EdD in STEM Education, or educational research-focused degrees, such as the PhD in Mathematics Education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- During the school year, students complete an internship in a local public school under the supervision of a mentor teacher. In the fall term, MAT students spend approximately 20 hours per week working with their mentor teacher.
- In the spring and summer terms, students in the MAT program are in their school sites 30 hours per week, culminating in a two-week take-over of their mentor teacher’s full responsibilities. Interns observe, analyze, and practice teaching skills in the grade levels and subjects of their mentor teacher.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Rolling; Priority given to applications received by January 15.
- Fully structured
- Regular optional meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesMathematics View 62 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Applications are submitted through the Pitt Education Online Application Form
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) to be paid by credit card
- Your online application must include (a.) a Goal statement, (b.) your resume or curriculum vita, and (c.) contact information for three academic or professional contacts to later be invited to provide letters of recommendation
International39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39898 USD per year during 24 months.
National39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39898 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State23530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23530 USD per year during 24 months.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.