From drawing up lesson plans to managing the classroom, the MAT program will provide you with a rigorous and thorough foundation in the fundamentals of teaching. Our program pairs intensive coursework with student teaching opportunities to ready the next generation of foreign language education teachers.
The Master of Arts (MAT) program in Foreign Language Education from the University of Pittsburgh offers students a rigorous course of instruction in teaching specific foreign language areas in grades K-12. The MAT satisfies the requirements for earning a Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate and provides students with a Master’s in Teaching upon graduation.
Native speakers of the language of certification are not exempt from prerequisite course work in the culture, civilization literature, and structure of their language. Applicants who are non-native speakers of the language of certification are also required to achieve at least an Advanced-Low rating on an oral proficiency interview by an individual certified by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
More informationVisit official programme website
- During the school year, students complete an internship in a local school. Students are placed for an entire school year under the supervision of a mentor. In the fall, students spend approximately 20 hours working with their mentor teacher.
- In the spring and summer sessions, students in the MAT program are full-time in their school sites, culminating in a full take-over of teacher responsibilities for two weeks in the late spring. Interns observe, analyze, and practice basic teaching skills in different grade levels and subject fields.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Rolling until July. Priority given to applications received by January 15
DisciplinesTeaching Linguistics View 1046 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applications are submitted through the Pitt Education Online Application Form
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) to be paid by credit card
- Your online application must include (a.) a Goal statement, (b.) your resume or curriculum vita, and (c.) contact information for three academic or professional contacts to later be invited to provide letters of recommendation
International39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National39898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 39898 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State23530 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23530 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.