The graduate faculty’s scholarly expertise allows students to develop a foundation in Russian with special emphasis on culture and cinema from the Enlightenment to the present. The graduate curriculum challenges students to develop their own research questions informed by theoretical paradigms that have emerged over recent years across the humanities and social sciences.
We offer a master degree in Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University of Pittsburgh. Together with the curriculum, the scholarly profile of the department provides a framework to develop a solid knowledge of the cultural trajectory of the Russian-speaking world; analytic-conceptual skills for critical engagement with formalist, structuralist, and postmodern theoretical models; and writing skills necessary in the field of Russian cultural studies.
The department hosts a weeklong annual Russian Film Symposium invites internationally known scholars, journalists, critics, to campus to participate in discussion and share their research, supporting a lively and collegial intellectual environment beyond the classroom setting. In addition to their degree in Slavic Languages and Literatures, our students are required to pursue a certificate or related area in programs such as Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Gender, Sexualilty, and Women's Studies , East European Studies, or in another related area.
- Post-Soviet Russian Cinema
- The Anti-Imperialist Empire: Formations of Second-World Culture
- 18th Century Russian Literature
- Sentimentalism & Romanticism
- Philosophy and Literature
- Socialist Realism
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 999 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed application form
- Personal Statement
- Transcript copies UPLOADED online. Undergraduate transcripts are required.
- Three letters of recommendation (online submissions)
- Writing Sample (in English); a Russian sample can also be submitted (optional)
- Non-US Citizens: TOEFL or IELTS scores
- International Applicants: Upon learning of your decision to our offer, we will forward your information to the Office of International Services (OIS). At that point, you will be contacted by OIS directly on how to submit your financial documentation.
International42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 24 months.
National42324 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42324 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State24962 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24962 USD per year during 24 months.
Part-time: LOCAL: $1,003 per credit NATIONAL/INTERNATIONAL: $1,728 per credit
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.