Our aim is to prepare students to become educators in the field of ethnomusicology and active in the public sector. Evidence of success is our strong record of graduate placement at universities both within and outside the U.S. In addition, our alumni hold advocacy positions in educational, government, and nonprofit organizations.
Graduate students in Ethnomusicology program at the University of Pittsburgh usually pursue at least one certificate in area studies, global studies, cultural studies, and/or women’s studies.
- Ethnomusicology faculty study and teach courses on some of the most exciting and timely areas of music research today including global popular music, gender and sexuality, and sound studies, among others. Faculty areas of research include music of Africa, Eastern Europe, and Southeast Asia.
- Adriana Helbig specializes in the music of Eastern Europe, focusing on the relationship between music and politics, advocacy research, Romani music, global hip-hop, migration, and post-socialist music industries. She directs Pitt's Carpathian Music Ensemble.
- Music in Africa
- Music in Latin America
- Music in East Asia
- Music in Southeast Asia
- Music in South Asia
- African American Music in the U.S.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Liberal Arts View 1037 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application form and $75 application fee.
- Statement of purpose, an essay of about two pages that describes the applicant's academic background and professional goals.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts from all higher education institutions attended. These should be scanned and included with online application.
- CV or Resumé.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably by persons who have taught the applicant in subjects related to the four research subdisciplines, rather than in performance lessons.
- GREs are no longer required by the Department of Music .
- Samples of work
International40894 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40894 USD per year during 24 months.
National40894 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40894 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State24118 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24118 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.