The German major comprises the following concentrations:
- The Applied Linguistics and Pedagogy concentration is intended primarily for those who are currently teaching in (or wish to teach in) elementary and secondary schools, and for those who wish to increase their effectiveness as teachers.
- The Literature concentration is intended for those who wish to purse a doctorate in German literature and culture or simply increase their knowledge of German literature and culture along with their command of the German language.
Graduates of this German program from Kent State University will be able to:
- Communicate in German at advanced, mid or higher proficiency level as measured by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview Test and ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test.
- Demonstrate skills in the analysis of German culture, literature and language
- Demonstrate an ability to carry out and present research projects in their respective concentration areas
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and skills in their respective concentration areas
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary German Culture
- Methods of Teaching Foreign Languages
- Linguistics for the Language Professions
- Theories in Second Language Acquisition
- Second Language Research Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
For timely consideration of the application, it is recommended applicants submit a complete application at least one month before the start of the semester.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Pedagogy Linguistics View 240 other Masters in Pedagogy in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Kent State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 2.750 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000-point scale
- Official transcript(s)
- Goal statement
- A CD or MP3/wav file with a 5-10-minute oral sample in the applicant's first and second languages (conversational, not read from a script)
- Writing sample(s) in the applicant's second language, which should be accompanied by a signed declaration that the sample is original work and that the applicant received no help in its preparation. International applicants should also submit a writing sample in English
- Three letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National17982 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17982 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State9648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9648 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Kent
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.