The Astronomy Department at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, in collaboration with the Physics Department, offers graduate students in astronomy and astrophysics strong training in a wide range of areas related to science and engineering.
Students also have ready access to observing and computing facilities for their dissertation research, and are guided by distinguished faculty.
- In the past two decades, astronomy has undergone a technological transformation. Ground-based astronomy has benefitted enormously from the development of modern solid-state detector arrays and large radio and optical/infrared telescopes.
- Satellites have opened previously inaccessible parts of the electromagnetic spectrum to observation. University of Illinois Astronomy students and faculty make active use of leading-edge space-based and ground-based facilities (such as DES or SPT) in their research.
- Solar System and Worlds Beyond
- Stars and Galaxies
- The Solar System Lab
- Stars and Galaxies Lab
- Killer Skies: Astro-Disasters
- Computing in Astronomy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 611 other Masters in Physics in United States
- Bachelor's degree in physical science or engineering. Transcripts issued to you by your undergraduate institution(s) may be uploaded with your application. Official transcripts and degree certifications are only required after admission.
- Minimum Grade-Point Average: 3.0 (A = 4.0) for the last two years of undergraduate study; this is a university requirement.
- Resume or CV
- Exactly three (3) Letters of Recommendation, from people who know you well and can attest to your suitability for graduate study.
- Personal Statement: A narrative statement, up to three pages, of your motivations for pursuing graduate study, past research experiences, and future goals.
- The GRE General Test and Subject Test in Physics are not required for admission, and most applicants do not provide GRE scores.
International28464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28464 USD per year during 12 months.
National28464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28464 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13176 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Urbana
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.