Current faculty research and teaching expertise covers a wide range of planning subjects including urban design; land use planning; land use law; housing; community, economic and real estate development; research methods; international development; transportation; environmental planning; and public policy.
The Master of Urban and Regional Planning degree from Michigan State University is a nationally accredited degree and admits students with a variety of academic backgrounds. Ideal students are those with strong intellectual ability; good written and verbal communication skills; basic statistical methods and have demonstrated a proven potential for leadership in the field of urban and regional planning.
A student entering the graduate program in urban and regional planning is expected to concentrate, under faculty guidance, on studies that provide an optimum learning experience in applying the various principles, theories, techniques, and design skills of planning to specific field problems.
Unlike undergraduates, whose studies are divided between liberal education and technical studies, the graduate student is immersed in significant planning studies and research.
The graduate program is designed to provide professional competence. After graduation, the student should be capable of assuming responsibilities on an intermediate level of a professional planning operation. The master's program in Urban and Regional Planning has been accredited by the American Planning Association.
- Applied Research Methods for Planning and Development
- Urban Land Management and the Environment
- Geographic Information Systems and Design Tools for Planning
- Planning Theory and Ethics
- Economics of Planning and Development
- Planning and Development Law
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Urban Planning View 291 other Masters in Urban Planning in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Michigan State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- To be admitted to the master’s degree program, the applicant must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution; a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0; a grade-point average below 3.0 may be supplemented with a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score of 1000 in verbal and quantitative, and an analytical writing score of 3.5. Students who are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must submit scores.
International29772 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29772 USD per year during 24 months.
National29772 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29772 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State15152 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15152 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for East Lansing
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.