The Department of Political Science at Michigan State University offers a Master of Arts and a Doctor of Philosophy degree program in Political Science and a Master of Public Policy degree program in Public Policy.
The graduate degree programs in the Department of Political Science are designed to help students become thoroughly grounded in the knowledge base and research methods of political science. Training is given in the following major fields of political science: American politics, comparative politics, international politics, public policy, political thought, formal theory, and research methodology.
The Department of Political Science and the Department of Economics jointly offer a Master of Public Policy Degree, as well as Linked Bachelor’s-Master’s Degree in Public Policy. The Master of Public Policy Degree and the Linked Bachelor’s-Master’s Degree in Public Policy provide students with the requisite skills to address complex societal problems, reconcile conflicting political and ethical values in policymaking, make informed decisions about program activities, and provide effective leadership in policy development and implementation.
In addition to meeting the requirements of the university and of the College of Social Science, graduate students must meet the requirements specified below.
The faculty of the Department of Political Science at Michigan State University share a broad commitment to excellence in education and the advancement of scholarship in the discipline of political science. This commitment to education and scholarship in political science is reflected in the faculty’s activities in support of a wide range of university missions:
- Creating and disseminating knowledge to promote a fundamental understanding of politics in a wide variety of settings.
- Providing a broad liberal education to Michigan State undergraduates to prepare them for future roles as citizens and professionals.
- Providing a first-class education to doctoral students to prepare them for careers of teaching and scholarship in political science.
- Preparing professionals to participate in the contemporary policymaking world through the masters program in public policy and administration.
- Providing appropriate service not only to the department, college, university, and professional societies but also to the broader geographic communities – international, national, regional, state, and local – in which the faculty work and live.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Classical Political Philosophy
- Modern Political Philosophy
- American Political Thought
- Proseminar on Political Institutions and Public Choice
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPolitical Science View 254 other Masters in Political Science in United States
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited educational institution is required for admission.
- Applicants should have the equivalent of an undergraduate major in political science, in a related social science, or in mathematics, statistics, or computer science. Some background in social science research methods, statistics, and/or basic mathematical operations is recommended. Normally, a minimum grade–point average of 3.20 in the last two years of undergraduate work is required for admission.
- Applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. Official results from this examination should be sent to the Department of Political Science.
International27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27792 USD per year during 24 months.
National27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27792 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14144 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for East Lansing
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.