In general, qualified students will be admitted to graduate study leading directly to the Ph.D. degree in microbiology and molecular genetics. Students who are enrolled in the professional programs in the colleges of Human Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, and Veterinary Medicine, or in professional programs in other colleges, may pursue a graduate degree in microbiology and molecular genetics concurrently.
A new graduate student in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics at Michigan State University is advised by the Director of Graduate Studies until a major professor is chosen. This choice should be made by the end of the second semester of enrollment in the program. The major professor assists the student in selecting a guidance committee. The committee helps the student in planning a program of study. The program must be approved by the end of the third semester of enrollment in the program.
Several members of the faculty of the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics are appointed jointly in other departments or are affiliated with the NSF Science and Technology Center for Microbial Ecology or with the Michigan Biotechnology Institute. Some members of the faculty contribute to interdepartmental graduate programs of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Integrative Microbial Biology
- Topics in Integrative Microbial Biology
- Molecular Virology
- Cell Structure and Function
- Microbial Genetics
- Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMicrobiology Molecular Sciences Genetics View 133 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in United States
- In general, applicants should have had the equivalent of two semesters each of physics, inorganic chemistry, and organic chemistry; one biochemistry course; mathematics through integral calculus; and one or more courses in the biological sciences.
- Applicants should have proficiency in written and spoken English, a minimum grade–point average of 3.00, and grades of 3.0 or above in science and mathematics courses. Scores on the Graduate Record Examination General Test and a personal letter of professional intent and objectives are required.
International27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27792 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27792 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State14144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14144 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.