You’ll gain a skillset combining advanced structural techniques and interpreting seismic data, an understanding of structural systems in time and space, and an appreciation of both the geological and geophysical constraints of seismic interpretation and model building.
This will enable you to use a combination of structural and geophysical techniques to solve geological problems. As a capable seismic interpreter you’ll be able to contribute in an industry role from day one.
Teaching of the Structural Geology with Geophysics course at University of Leeds is research led, with direct links to active applied research. You’ll be taught by a range of research and industry experts, as well as through industry-led workshops. Strong industry links are a feature of this course.
There is a need for well-trained structural geologists with geophysical skills and training, within both the hydrocarbons and minerals industries, but also within sectors such as geothermal and hydrothermal energy and carbon sequestration.
With a Masters being generally considered as a good level to enter into a career within the resource exploration industry the longer-term employment prospects are very good, with many companies targeting the course directly for recruitment.
We maintain excellent links with industry and professional bodies and many energy and service-sector companies engage directly with our students via specific company recruitment talks and workshops held throughout the year.
Other opportunities for recruitment can arise from project placements and the final presentations day at the close of the programme in September.
- Structural Geology Independent Project
- Applied Geophysical Methods
- Integrated Sub Surface Analysis
- Seismic Interpretation and Applied Structural Models
- Applied Geodynamics and Basin Evolution
- 3D Structure: Techniques and Visualisation
- Reservoir Structural Geology and Hydrocarbon Prospectivity of Basins
- Ore Deposits and their Structural Controls
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
This course is very competitive. We advise you to submit your application for entry as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology View 47 other Masters in Geology in United Kingdom
- A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) or above in a geological, geophysical, environmental geology, mining or related subject. Mathematics to A-level is also preferred, although GSCE level is accepted.
- If you have a lower qualification and a non-standard geology degree, you may be considered on an ad-hoc basis, supported by relevant experience. You may also have to take an entrance exam.
If you have the talent and drive, we want you to be able to study with us, whatever your financial circumstances. There may be help for students in the form of loans and non-repayable grants from the University and from the government.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.