Established for over 50 years, the Exploration Geophysics degree from University of Leeds has strong links both to sectors of industry and Leeds’ new GeoSolutions centre, which aims to apply geoscience expertise to support the clean-energy transition. The course provides you with a breadth of practical skills, underpinned by a theoretical understanding that equips you to become a professional in your chosen field.
Central to the course is a four-month individual project, typically conducted in close association with an external company or institute, and often in their offices on placements or subsidised internships.
Theoretical and practical understanding of Exploration Geophysics principles, consistent with professional practice in many industrial and academic sectors.
Opportunity to network with geoscience companies from energy, service, and consultancy fields.
A four month individual research project, typically in association with an external company or institute and often in their offices.
Access to state-of-the-art computer facilities, featuring a comprehensive range of industry-standard software on hi-spec twin-screen workstations.
Develop your field skills with our sector-leading portfolio of field geophysical equipment.
A close working relationship with academic geoscientists in Leeds’ GeoSolutions centre, and its Institute of Applied Geoscience and the Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics.
There is a high demand for geophysicists. A Masters is generally considered an appropriate level to embark on a career in resource exploration or engineering/environmental site investigation, and the course at Leeds has an exceptionally good record of job placement for students.
Many energy, and service-sector companies target the course directly for recruitment with numerous company visits through the year. Other opportunities arise from project placements, the EAGE, or Project Presentation day in September.
Most students join energy or minerals companies, or geophysical acquisition, processing, interpretation or software companies.
Accredited by the Geological Society
- Exploration Geophysics: Project and Dissertation
- Computational Inverse Theory
- Petrophysics and Petroleum Geology
- Geophysical Reservoir Evaluation
- Geophysical and Geological Field Methods and Geological Interpretation
- Gravity and Magnetic Methods
- Seismic Fundamentals and Acquisition
- Seismic Data Processing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPhysics Geography Geology View 207 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
A bachelor degree with a 2:1 (hons) in geosciences (e.g. geology or geophysics) or in a relevant numerate subject, such as physics, mathematics, or some engineering discliplines. Relevant and extensive industry experience can also be taken into account.
- You must have mathematics to a good A-level grade (or equivalent) as a minimum. Your mathematical competence will be assessed prior to joining and additional training may be required. The course is computer-intensive and we assume you have basic computer literacy including Windows and MS Office. EDCL/ICDL qualifications are not formally required, but represent the level expected.
- Applicants with a 2.2 will be considered on a case by case basis where applicants can demonstrate relevant work experience or aptitude in a relevant specialist field. Graduates from other disciplines and those with professional experience in the sector will also be considered.
Living costs for Leeds
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.