The Mathematics and Statistics program of The University of Maine is a 2-year graduate program leading to a Master of Arts in Mathematics. Students typically organize their program of study within one of three broad areas:
- Applied Mathematics: In addition to advanced linear algebra and four semesters of analysis, students can take courses in partial differential equations and mathematical modeling.
- Pure Mathematics: We offer yearlong sequences in real analysis, complex analysis, topology, and algebra.
- Statistics: Students may take a full year of graduate level mathematical statistics, and courses in stochastic systems and linear statistical models.
Because of the small size of the program, with 10-12 students, we offer small classes, with each student receiving plenty of individual attention. We specialize in preparing students for PhD programs, but many of our graduates also pursue employment in teaching or industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Topics in Graduate Mathematics
- Functions of a Real Variable
- Functions of a Complex Variable
- Advanced Linear Algebra
- Mathematical Statistics
- Stochastic Systems
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
January 15 recommended, then rolling if space is available
DisciplinesMathematics Statistics View 325 other Masters in Statistics in United States
- In addition to satisfactory performance of the applicant as an undergraduate, as evidenced by transcripts, letters of recommendation, and G.R.E. scores, the Department requires one semester of real analysis (equivalent to MAT 425) and one semester of abstract algebra (equivalent to MAT 463).
- Occasionally, students can be admitted with a deficiency in one of these areas if the deficiency is made up in the first year of graduate study.
- The minimum TOEFL score for admission for non-native English speakers is 80 (internet-based).
- Completed online application
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcript of all previous college or university work
- Official test scores
- $65 application fee
- Certification of Finances to be submitted at the time of admission
- A copy of your passport or visa to aid in processing I-20 paperwork
International1503 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1503 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1503 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1503 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
In-State461 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 461 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.