The Master of Music in Music Education at University of Massachusetts Lowell has two non-certification options consisting of the research-based Research Thesis/Project option for fully-certified music teachers who are seeking professionalization, and our newly created Community Music option which serves to broaden the definition of music education to include other venues beyond public school teaching, such as community outreach programs, arts organizations and educational media.
The degree program is designed to facilitate students' growth and development as:
- Leaders in the profession of music education.
- Creative problem solvers and innovative thinkers.
- Individuals who love music and the arts and utilize their knowledge of and enthusiasm for music to inspire students.
- Contributors, through research, to the profession and discipline of music education.
The music education curriculum is based on the belief that music educators must have comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter of music, an awareness of current theory and practice in music education, and an understanding of recent curriculum developments and contemporary issues in general education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Music Education - Socio-Cultural Influences
- Foundation of Music Education
- Curriculum Design in Music Education
- Research in Music Education
- Teaching Diverse Populations
- Adolescent Development & Behavior
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
National Students - UMass Lowell Graduate Admissions offers rolling admissions
DisciplinesEducation Music View 3972 other Masters in Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for admission to the Master of Music in Music Education
- Proof of either a Bachelor of Music degree in performance, music industry or music education or its equivalent from an accredited music program
- Minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Graduate School application forms.
- GRE scores, and official transcripts of previous post-secondary education.
- Applicants for admission to Master of Music in Music Education/Thesis Project Options must have passed the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) test in Music within the last five years and must submit the results of this test.
- A statement of purpose.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Official transcripts.
- On-site audition or audition tape.
International29841 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29841 USD per year during 12 months.
National26990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26990 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State15210 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15210 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Lowell
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.