The Jewish Studies program is offered by the University of Haifa . The program’s focus extends from the Biblical to Modern era, and is taught by experts in the fields of Biblical studies, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Early and Late Antiquity, the Middle Ages, early Modern and Modern Jewish History and Thought. Our parallel Hebrew-language program draws over two-hundred students annually and we are now happy to be able to offer it to students from around the world.
The year-long program will be taught over three semesters and includes a final examination. The courses are split according to three chronological groups: the Biblical period, Antiquity (the Rabbinic period); and the Medieval to the Modern period. In order to obtain a master’s degree, the student will need to accumulate 36 credits over three consecutive semesters.
The English-language MA program is aimed at students who seek to deepen their knowledge of the Jewish tradition and its many facets, and for those who would like to gain a solid and broad foundation from which to continue with more specialized post-graduate studies in the field. Over the course of the program, students will also participate in several educational excursions, visiting some of Israel’s main historical sites.
Additionally, the program can be pursued for a semester for use as credit at students’ home universities. Those who wish may combine the program with language studies in Hebrew and Arabic.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Israel, Canaan, Philistia, under the Great Empires 1300-333 BCE
- Prophets and Kings between North and South
- The Dead Sea Scrolls in their Context
- Archaeology and Urban Politics: Hazor, Dan, Meggido, Dor.
- The Sages of the Galilee
- Sepphoris and Tiberias: Regional cultural productions, rivalries, and exchange.
- From Midrash to the Genizah.
- Eschatological expectations and apocalyptic literature in Byzantine Palestine.
- Conversion in Rabbinic Literature: From the academies of Tiberias to the Rivers of Babylon
- Medieval and Early Modern Safed and the region:
- Saints and pilgrims of the middle ages.
- Mysticism, Law and Renaissance in Safed at the 16th century.
- Lurianic Kabbalah in depth.
- Aggadic Midrash in the Cairo Genizah: From a Galilean Cradle to Mediterranean Spread.
- The Land of Israel in Early Modern Jewish Thought and Philosophy.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesHistory Religious Studies & Theology View 4 other Masters in History in Israel
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Accredited BA degree in the humanities, preferably Jewish Studies.
- A minimum 2.6 GPA, 76% or equivalent
- TOEFL scores (if native language is not English or candidates have not previously studied at an institution of higher education where the language of instruction is English). A minimum of 570 (paper-based test), 230 (computer-based test) or 89 (internet-based test)
- Two letters of recommendation from relevant academic faculty members
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of valid passport & six passport-sized photos
- Medical Forms
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9910 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9910 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Haifa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Some of the MA programs have a limited number of scholarships available for students based on financial need. Students who are in financial need are encouraged to submit an application.
In addition to the University of Haifa need-based scholarship you can also submit applications to all other scholarship opportunities for which you are eligible (MASA, local Jewish Federation, etc.).
Find out more by visiting the University website!
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.