The MSc in Therapeutics from Cardiff University is designed for medical practitioners, pharmacists, specialist nurses, and others who wish to gain further expertise in the practical management of common therapeutic problems.
What you'll learn
The course aims to equip you with a sound understanding of the management of common medical conditions and to develop skills in evidence-based medicine. Graduates would be expected to gain the skills and expertise necessary to become the ‘local therapeutics expert’.
The course arises from a leading research centre and aims to encourage critical thinking and to equip students not only with practical and factual knowledge, but also provide a basic approach to therapeutic problems, encouraging attitudes and abilities which will be of lasting value in dealing with future advances in therapy.
The MSc involves a research dissertation and is open to students who have successfully completed the Cardiff University Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutics to an acceptable standard.
- Problem orientated, evidence-based learning specifically designed to be of direct relevance to practice.
- Distance-learning, delivered entirely online. You can choose when and where to study, at home, at work or on the move.
- Targeted fortnightly reading guided by aims and outcomes for the period.
- Audio interviews and presentations are available to download.
- We are also recognised as a major research centre. Advances in therapeutics have been pioneered in Cardiff, including methods for optimal use of anticoagulants, antiarrhythmic drugs and anticonvulsants.
This programme is aimed at those who have completed the Diploma in Therapeutics and wish to complete a research project or literature review to expand their academic knowledge on the subject.
This Masters programme enables you to demonstrate you are taking the opportunity to develop your abilities in critical analysis, problem-solving, decision-making, finding and using evidence and in dealing with complex issues. Whilst we do not formally assess clinical skills or competencies in a face-to-face context (so the programme is not a substitute for a formal specialty training programme), studying at this level should help successful students demonstrate numerous academic skills that should be highly regarded in relation to their career development and progression.
In particular, the programme offers opportunities to demonstrate the development of knowledge and skills in relation to the application of evidence-based medicine and the potential enhancement of services and governance frameworks. As such, it should provide evidence of commitment and potential that may assist you in relation to taking on greater responsibilities or perhaps seeking management, research, scholarship, or leadership roles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dissertation: Therapeutics
- This research dissertation stage lasts for one academic year (part-time) following completion of the Postgraduate Diploma, and includes a dissertation of 60 credits at Level 7, to achieve a combined total of 180 credits (with 120 from the Cardiff University Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutics) at Level 7 to complete the MSc programme.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Sciences View 222 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application for the MSc is available to a selected number of candidates only. To be eligible to apply for entry to the MSc, candidates must have been awarded the Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) in Therapeutics from Cardiff University and have attained an acceptable level of performance during the Postgraduate Diploma.
- All work must have been submitted, each of the six modules must have been passed with a mark of 60% or more (final module mark) and the overall aggregate mark for the whole Postgraduate Diploma must be 70% or more.
- An appropriate Level 7 prospective project proposal must be submitted for which a supervisor must be available. In the case of the MSc being over-subscribed in any given year, priority will be given to students who submit the highest quality project proposals. Marks at Postgraduate Diploma level may also be taken further into account.
International7850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7850 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.