The MSc in Occupational Health (Policy and Practice) at Cardiff University is a part-time distance learning programme that offers knowledge and expertise in the science underpinning occupational health and safety.
It offers a convenient means for nurses, doctors, health and safety advisors or managers with busy work schedules and other responsibilities, to gain a postgraduate degree in Occupational Health.
The emphasis is on common occupational health and safety issues encountered in the workplace.
The aims of the course are:
- To develop an understanding of the broad processes underpinning health protection in the workplace.
- To develop and enhance research in occupational health directly applicable and beneficial to practice.
- To encourage attitudes pertinent to the team approach.
The course encourages self-directed learning, critical thinking and comparative analysis of occupational health systems and practice. This is done within a structured and dynamic online learning environment that provides interactive multidisciplinary learning and the opportunity for mutual support and collaboration.
The course aims to enable you to explore, understand, analyse and/or apply:
- The concepts of occupational health practice in relation to current needs and initiatives.
- The role of occupational health practitioners and the analysis of their effectiveness in practice.
- The management of occupational health issues including psychological, sociological and philosophical perspectives, which may affect management strategies and impinge on the role of specialist practitioners.
- Assessments of the work environment, its effects on health, relevant legislation and the effective control of workplace hazards.
- Health surveillance, its application within the workplace and the design of appropriate occupational health programmes.
- Specialist roles within occupational health practice through the critical appraisal of literature and research.
- Epidemiological principles in occupational health practice and the significance of data collection in the development of evidence based practice.
Throughout the course there will be opportunities for the development of critical appraisal skills in the analysis of literature and the development of research-based activities in occupational health practice.
The MSc dissertation then provides the opportunity to carry out research involving a detailed literature review, the formulation of research questions, hypotheses, aims and objectives, and conducting data collection, analysis and the presentation of results.
- The bulk of the course is delivered online. This gives you the opportunity to work at your own speed, and time of your choosing, and allows you to combine study with a busy professional career
- Subject to sufficient student interest, a short introductory course is also held in Cardiff, giving you an opportunity to meet your course tutors and fellow students
- The course is delivered by working occupational health practitioners and experts in their fields. The emphasis is on evidence-based practice and practical solutions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Occupational Risk Assessment and Control
- Occupational Health Law and Ethics
- Occupational Health Statistics, Epidemiology and Evidence Based Practice
- Occupational Health Processes and Management
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesHealth Management Health Sciences View 130 other Masters in Health Management in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants will typically possess an initial degree awarded by a recognised institution or appropriate professional qualification.
- Applications will be considered from graduates in a relevant subject, e.g. medicine, nursing or other healthcare professions, with an interest in and experience of occupational health services. Applicants without a degree, but with appropriate vocational qualifications, will also be considered.
- The course will be delivered in a multi-professional environment. For this reason, applicants working in fields with more limited direct involvement with employee health issues will also be considered, e.g. trade union officers, human resource managers, scientists etc., subject to the same prior educational standards.
International8725 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8725 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4850 GBP per year during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.