The Master of Graphic Design at North Carolina State University helps move the passionate student toward a deeper knowledge of the discipline and more purposeful, individually driven design practices. Student inquiry into contemporary and emergent design issues prepares graduates of the program for leadership positions that both evolve the profession and advance the discipline.
Graduate education differs from undergraduate study. The bachelor degree establishes core skills and general knowledge with which to build careers in mainstream design practice. Graduate education, by contrast, asks students to establish design and research agendas that will help shape the future of the profession as well as their own careers.
Faculty in the Master of Graphic Design program expect students to exhibit behaviors and attitudes appropriate to advance study, such as:
- Intellectual curiosity and independent thinking that extends beyond teacher-defined coursework;
- Self-motivated strategies for mastering literature and discourse in the discipline and related fields;
- Processes for posing researchable questions and corresponding visual studies that are well-matched to audience and context;
- Analysis and synthesis of concepts of user experience;
- Creative insight in the development of form; and
- Commitment to the investment of time, level of inquiry, thoughtfulness of investigation, and collaboration with faculty and students required of advanced study.
The Bachelor of Graphic Design, Master of Graphic Design, and PhD in Design programs are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), in affiliation with the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA).
- Design As Cognitive Artifact
- Design as Cultural Artifact
- New Information Environments
- Special Topics In Graphic Design History
- Graphic Design Final Project Research
- Final Project Studio In Graphic Design
- Special Topics In Graphic Design
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Graphic Design View 103 other Masters in Graphic Design in United States
- Personal Statement stating career objectives, prior experience, intention of graduate study, and their relevance to the selected program at NC State University.
- A portfolio of work as per the requirements of your desired discipline.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts for each institution attended (official transcripts will be required if admitted).
- Three uploaded letters of recommendation from people who know your academic record.
- GRE scores for any student whose first degree was not completed in selected major
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students only (TOEFL institution code for NC State is 5496).
- Personal resume (include under “PDF Documents” in the online system).
International29690 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29690 USD per year during 24 months.
National29690 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29690 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State11702 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11702 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Raleigh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.