The Department of Community Sustainability at Michigan State University is an interdisciplinary department that offers programs leading to the Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees.
The department's faculty reflects a unique integration of the social sciences, humanities and natural sciences across its research, teaching and outreach missions. This integration advances the department's goal of educating scholars and practitioners who are able to create, integrate and harness new knowledge to protect and improve both social and natural systems. Students can focus their interests in community sustainability around majors and courses that address natural resources and the environment, food systems, recreation and tourism, education and leadership.
The department's programs reflect an understanding that how students learn is as important as what they learn. Courses, service-learning projects, internships, study abroad programs and other co-curricular activities combine academic content with the building of competencies such as fostering dialogue and action on critical issues, decision-making, leveraging diversity in communities and organizations, encouraging innovation within organizations and/or communities, and promoting and sustaining positive change.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Community Sustainability
- Survey of Research Methods
- Case Studies in Community Sustainability
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development View 116 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree or comparable degree requirements from an educational institution.
- Relevant experience and strong academic backgrounds in the natural, physical, or social sciences are encouraged for applicants to the Master of Science in Community Sustainability.
- All applicants for admission are required to submit scores from the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination. Collateral courses may be required to overcome deficiencies in addition to the requirements for the master’s degree. Collateral course work will not count towards the master’s degree.
International27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27792 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27792 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State14144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14144 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.