The Department is composed of dozens of faculty members at the forefront of their fields who use cutting edge genetic, epigenetic, genomic, and bioinformatic methodologies to gain insight into diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, neurodegenerative and neurological disorders, and other genetic diseases. Research is highly interactive and often involves local, national, and international collaborations which further enrich the research experience.
Individual labs in the Medical Genetics program offered by University of British Columbia conduct clinical and/or translational research and basic experimental research engaging a wide variety of approaches including the use of model organisms such as mice, flies (D. melanogaster), worms (C. elegans), and yeast (S. cerevisiae).
What makes the program unique?
The mission of the Department of Medical Genetics is to pursue basic and clinical research for diagnosis, prevention and treatment of genetic disease. Our goal is to be a world leader in the research, clinical practice and teaching of Genetic Medicine.
The MSc program in Medical Genetics is a research-based, thesis-based program which generally takes two - three years to complete. Graduates find employment in the public and private sector, and also pursue further studies in the field of Medical Genetics. Following is a brief sample of occupations that our graduates are pursuing:
- Advanced Human Molecular Genetics
- Human Genetics
- Genetics and Ethics
- Concepts in Clinical Genetics for Genetic Counselling
- Genetic Counselling Seminar
- Basic Interviewing Skills
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Genetics View 31 other Masters in Biomedicine in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Applicants should browse faculty profiles and indicate in their application who they are interested in working with. No commitment from a supervisor prior to applying is necessary, but contacting faculty members is encouraged.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8952 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5095 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.