The African American and African Studies program at Michigan State University prepares students for a range of academic and professional career opportunities and consists of two plans, a Plan A (with thesis) option that prepares graduate students for doctoral study and a Plan B (without thesis) option that equips graduate students with interdisciplinary Black Studies professional skills that may be used in a variety of professional careers.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to African Studies
- Introduction to African American Studies
- Introduction to African Diaspora Studies
- Multicultural Pedagogy in African American and African Studies
- Domestic Internship in African American and African Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 402 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- Have the results of the Graduate Record Examination General Test forwarded to the college.
- Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV).
- Submit a personal statement and an academic purpose stating personal and professional goals, disciplinary interests in Africana studies and desire to pursue a Plan A or Plan B program of study.
- Submit a writing sample, usually a recent research paper.
- Submit two copies of official transcripts demonstrating an earned Bachelor’s degree in an area of study appropriate for advanced work in Africana studies and a grade-point average of 3.0.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from faculty acquainted with your course work using the University’s Letter of Recommendation Form for Admission.
International27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27792 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National27792 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 27792 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State14144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14144 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.