This part-time programme in Advanced Surgical Practice from Cardiff University is aimed at registered nurses, doctors, operating department practitioners and other healthcare professionals.
What you'll learn
The programme aims to offer knowledge and expertise to provide a transition between theory and your own clinical practice. It draws together a collection of fundamental information in an e-learning format, with an emphasis on the general principles of surgical practice rather than on the management of specific conditions.
The multifaceted nature of caring for surgical patients is evaluated from an evidence-based perspective. Teaching considers the full journey of the surgical patient, starting with admission and preoperative preparation through to postoperative care and discharge.
Professional issues, including clinical governance and inter-professional practice, are also covered. Assessments are structured to enable you to evaluate the topic in relation to your practice areas of interest and professional base.
This programme is particularly suitable for those who wish to increase their knowledge of surgical practice in order to help improve patient care. Graduates have reported that it led directly to promotion, and many were also stimulated to pursue academic careers via further study up to PhD.
This Masters programme enables you to demonstrate you are taking the opportunity to develop your abilities in critical analysis, problem-solving, decision-making, finding and using evidence and in dealing with complex issues. Whilst we do not formally assess clinical skills or competencies in a face-to-face context (so the programme is not a substitute for a formal specialty training programme), studying at this level should help successful students demonstrate numerous academic skills that should be highly regarded in relation to their career development and progression.
In particular, the programme offers opportunities to demonstrate the development of knowledge and skills in relation to the application of evidence-based medicine and the potential enhancement of services and governance frameworks. As such, it should provide evidence of commitment and potential that may assist you in relation to taking on greater responsibilities or perhaps seeking management, research, scholarship, or leadership roles.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research and Evidence-based Practice
- Preoperative Management
- Fundamentals of Postoperative Practice
- Dissertation: Advanced Surgical Practice
- Management Options
- Operative and Clinical - OPTIONS
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
It is recommended you apply 9–12 months in advance of the course starting.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Health Management Health Sciences View 133 other Masters in Health Management in United Kingdom
- Hold a higher education qualification, minimum of a BSc (Hons) grade 2:2 or equivalent, from a recognised institution.
- Be able to demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Head of School or nominee, that they have held for a minimum of two years a position of responsibility of relevance to the proposed programme.
- Be working in a clinical area that is relevant to the programme they are undertaking for the full duration of their studies.
You will also need to provide:
- evidence that you are currently registered with the professional body relevant to your profession
- a personal statement which does not exceed 500 words. In your personal statement you will need to confirm that you are currently working in a relevant clinical area and will be for the full duration of your studies.
International7850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7850 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4850 GBP per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.