The M.S. in Library and Information Science at the Long Island University (LIU) prepares you for a wide range of professional careers in public and private library systems and information technology settings. Our master’s degree programs, advanced certificates and doctoral degree are highly respected among libraries, organizations and businesses nation-wide.
The faculty of the Palmer School consists of distinguished professors with outstanding credentials and track records of scholarship, research and instruction at top universities across the nation and around the world. They are ready to help you complete your degree and make your own contributions to the fields of library science and information studies.
Long Island University offers the Master of Science in Library and Information Science – accredited by the American Library Association– at the Palmer School at LIU Post in Brookville, New York and at New York University’s Bobst Library in Manhattan. In addition, the Palmer School partners with NYU to provide a unique Dual Degree program for scholar-librarians, leading to a Master's degree from NYU Steinhardt or NYU College of Arts and Science and a Master of Science in Library and Information Science from LIU. Students can also take master's level courses at LIU Brentwood in Brentwood, N.Y. or Long Island.
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Introduction to Library and Information Science
- Information Sources and Services
- Introduction to Knowledge Organization
- Introduction to Research in Library and Information Science
- Management of Libraries and Information Centers
- Management of the School Media Center
- Rare Books and Special Collections Librarianship
- Archives and Manuscripts
- Public Libraries
- Academic and Special Libraries
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
DisciplinesLibrary Science View 86 other Masters in Library Science in United States
- Application for Admission
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
- Official copies of undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities attended.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 3.0 grade point average or equivalent in a bachelor’s program or in the last two years of the undergraduate program. Applicants who have not have completed their degrees prior to submitting the admission application should submit a transcript without the final semester’s grades. Such applicants may be accepted pending receipt of their final degree noted on official transcript.
International45864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 12 months.
National45864 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.