MA Interaction Design Communication from University of the Arts London (UAL) provides an opportunity for experimental practice in an area of design that increasingly explores the intersection of the physical and digital domains. With a focus on synthesising thought through rigorous design prototyping (making), digital processes and user perspectives, the course is highly reflective of interdisciplinary practice within the contemporary design, media and communications industries.
The integrated approach of the course to critical thinking provides you with the opportunity to work with critical ideas in an applied design context – for example psycho-geographic practice as empirical research or engaging with other critical theories of space to generate user perspectives. This ensures that ideation processes take on both the macro as well as micro opportunities for innovation and speculation crucial to building a portfolio of highly engaged work.
As well as placing you in a position to work across the broad spectrum of interaction, design and communication, the course is just as interested in design questions as design answers. This means that the course also prepares you for progression to further design research at MPhil/PhD level as well as to advanced self-directed experimental practice.
LCC has an outstanding team of practitioners and published researchers and enjoys a rich programme of visiting speakers. The course also benefits from a cross-European collaboration with design industry professionals and higher education institutions and there is an opportunity to visit at least one other centre in Europe during the course.
Graduates of the course are equipped to work in an increasingly technologically informed and interdisciplinary design world with real skills in areas such as: interaction design, user experience, design prototyping, physical computing, open source digital platforms, futurecasting, design research, experience design, communication design, value engineering, thought leadership and digital arts.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Theories and Technologies of Interaction Design
- Research Practice and Human Centred Design
- Interaction Futures and Speculative Design
- Physical Computing and Design Prototyping
- Final Major Research Project
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Communication Sciences View 244 other Masters in Communication Sciences in United Kingdom
- Honours degree
- Possession of equivalent qualifications
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required. Your experience is assessed as a learning process and tutors will evaluate that experience for currency, validity, quality and sufficiency
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Personal statement
- Study proposal/project proposal
International22920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22920 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
EU/EEA11220 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11220 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.