The M.S. in Educational Technology program at the Long Island University (LIU) moves your thinking from the bricks-and-mortar style of learning to learning that builds communities of practice within the virtual world of cloud technologies, on-line learning materials, and multi-media.
Courses are offered in the blended format, combining in-classroom and online studies. To qualify fo the initial or professional certificate as an Educational Technology Specialist, the candidate must complete the equivalent of 50 hours of field experience or practicum in the elementary or secondary schools. It should also be noted that among other requirements the student must pass the NYSTCE Content Specialty Test (71) Educational Technology Specialist.The program uses a cohort approach that joins 20 to 25 students who stay together from the start of the program until its completion. You will be teamed up with students with a variety of experience and career goals. Together you will emerge as teachers with expertise in using and applying web-based tools for 21st century communications, content creation and access, and personal and group learning in a virtual world. These skills will transform and enrich a variety of your teaching and learning experiences. You can still teach music, math, history, English, or your area of specialty, but you will teach it with greater creativity and a wider knowledge of learning applications that incorporate current and emerging technologies.
Our students' varied backgrounds and disciplines make for a rich and rewarding experience. Faculty have experience working with students in pre-K through high school, in all disciplines and special subject areas, in special education, guidance, etc. Our cohorts work equally well with varied technology expertise. This dynamic enhances the overall classroom experience and strengthens the learning experience for all.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Culminating Experience: Issues, Challenges, and Opportunities for Applying Technologies in Learning
- Culminating Experience: Actualizing Systemic Technology-Based Learning
- Applying Educational Technologies for Building Learning Communities and Learning Systems
- Outcomes Assessment for Educational Technologists
- Understanding the Role of Educational Technologies in Changing School Cultures, Organizations and Communities
- Designing and Evaluating Assessment Plans for Technology-Enriched Theoretically-Grounded Learning Environments
- Transforming Communities of Practice: Applications, Technologies & Implementation
- Transforming Communities of Practice: Technology-Rich Learning Environments
- Technologies in the 21st Century: Applying Digital Media and Multimedia in Teaching and Learning
- Technology and Learning Conferencing
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research General Engineering & Technology View 374 other Masters in Educational Research in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee (non-refundable).
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended.
- Applicants must have achieved at least a 2.5 overall and 2.75 in major grade point average or equivalent in a bachelor's program.
- Personal Statement that addresses the reason you are interested in pursuing graduate work in this area of study.
- Students for whom English is a second language must submit official score results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
International38970 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1299 USD per credit during 12 months.
National38970 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1299 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.