The MA Animation at University of the Arts London (UAL) is taught as a broad and experimental visual practice in the context of communication design.
With new technologies changing how we make, understand and experience animation, students are encouraged to test boundaries and look at animation in many forms and in many ways.
You will investigate the production of animation in an era with unparalleled opportunities for skilled visual communicators.
What can you expect?
The central ethos of the course is to give you enough freedom and guidance to test and discover creative ideas within a critical framework in balance with developing the accomplished production skills across 2D, 2.5D, 3D, stop-motion and drawn animation, to realise your creative goals.
You will develop skills in narrative storytelling and interpreting ideas for the flat screen and you'll also be encouraged to work across multiple formats.
You'll explore how animation can be used in different contexts, such as in the fine arts installation as well as in digital media – exploring the online, mobile and interactive opportunities for animation practice.
The course supports progression to research at MPhil/PhD level as well as to advanced self-directed experimental practice.
Building on LCC's resources, in digital, time-based and interactive media alongside printmaking, graphic design and visual communication, the course encourages an experimental and reflective practice that echoes the cross media nature of the design, communication and media industries.
- Animation Practice and Process 3D and 2D
- Design for Animation, Narrative Structures and Film Language
- Experimental Critical Practice and Research
- Final Major Project and Thesis
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Video Games & Animation View 372 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- Honours degree in either animation, illustration, visual communication, graphic design or closely related subject, and present a portfolio of moving-image work. ;
- Possession of equivalent qualifications;
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required;
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required.
- Employment history
- Personal statement
- Study proposal/project proposal
International23610 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23610 GBP per year during 15 months.
National11550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 GBP per year during 15 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.