The M.S. in Music Education (Birth to Grade 12) at Long Island University (LIU) includes up to 24 credits of coursework in major aspects of classroom teaching and learning. You will learn the social, economic, political and intellectual foundations of American education and the psychological theories and principles of teaching, learning and development. You will master teaching techniques and materials, learn to prepare lesson plans in accordance with state and national standards and develop ways to assess your students’ progress. You will interact with students in a supervised student teaching practicum, and assure your own ongoing development as a professional educator by becoming an informed consumer and producer of educational research.
A wide-ranging and comprehensive curriculum of music courses will inform and inspire students in the M.S. in Music Education program. Up to 18 credits on methods of teaching music and instruction in specific instruments will empower you to bring your students to their full potential. Courses can be taken in teaching brass, woodwind, percussion and string instruments and choral methods, music technology, conducting and teaching special learners.
Qualities That Set Our Program Apart
- You will work with some of the most talented and successful musicians and teachers in the New York metro area. Our faculty members are active musicians and teachers, and they represent some of the most cutting-edge and high profile people in the profession. The program is accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
- Our proximity to New York City and connection to Tilles Center for the Performing Arts at the LIU Post Campus will give you direct access to a wide variety of outstanding professional music making in the form of concerts, workshops, master classes and collaborative projects. Recent musical artists that have worked with our students include: the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Chanticleer Choral Ensemble, Shanghai String Quartet, Bobby McFerrin, United States “President’s Own” Marine Band, New York Voices, United States Air Force Band, guitarist David Leisner, flutist Sir James Galway, jazz artist Paquito D’Rivera, and cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
- As a pre-service teacher, you will have an opportunity to participate in PreK-16 partnerships with local school districts and community organizations – helping you learn and make contacts for future employment.
- You will have an opportunity to make music as a soloist, chamber musician and large ensemble member, both here on campus and as part of our domestic and international touring program.
- Nationally recognized for its chapter growth and leadership, our collegiate chapter of The National Association for Music Education (NAfME) promotes excellence in music teaching and learning through its outreach programs, national and international guest speakers, and conference participation. You will be an active member of this organization and enjoy the rewards and benefits that participation will bring.
- As a graduate of our music education program you will be a competent, qualified and caring music educator, fully prepared to seek and obtain a music teaching position.
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Studio Lessons - Graduate
- The Study of Musical Form
- Jazz Composition and Arranging
- Chamber Singers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
DisciplinesEducation Music Liberal Arts View 1068 other Masters in Music in United States
- Application for Admission.
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable)
- Official undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any and all college(s) or universities you have attended. Bachelor's degree with an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- Personal statement
- Submission on the general Graduate Record Examination (Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, Analytical Writing). Scores cannot be more than five years old at the time of the application.
International42867 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1299 USD per credit during 12 months.
National42867 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1299 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.