About this Degree
The health and wellbeing of people differs widely across the globe. Life expectancy varies from 45 years in some countries to double that figure in others, and similar inequalities exist within countries.
Many complex factors and processes simultaneously operating from the local to the global spheres affect the health of individuals, populations and nations. As these factors change, so do the challenges and opportunities for improving health locally and globally. The Global Health programme at the Brighton and Sussex Centre for Global Health Research develops students’ understanding of the complex determinants of health and their potential solutions in order to help them contribute to the improvement of health and the achievement of health equity and social justice worldwide. With this purpose, this programme offers an inter-multi and cross-disciplinary approach to health and ill-health.
At University of Sussex we combine traditional didactic teaching with dynamic and interactive methods, using case studies alongside evidence and insights from the various disciplines to facilitate students’ critical understanding of current global health issues, their complex determinants and their potential solutions.
- Global Burden and Management of Disease
- Global Health Principles
- Research Practice in Global Contexts
- Dissertation (Research Project)
- Access to Medicines
- Anthropological Perspectives on Mind, Madness and Mental Health
- Anthropology of Fertility, Reproduction and Health
- Communicable Diseases
- Conflict, Violence and Health
- Health and Development
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 1752 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Sussex and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A first- or upper second-class undergraduate honours degree or equivalent in any global health-related subject (eg, development studies, anthropology, nursing, political sciences, geography, psychology, biomedical sciences, etc) or the successful completion of at least three years’ basic medical science at a UK medical school (having gained at least 360 credits). Relevant global health experience is desirable but not essential.
- For international students an IELTS score of 7 or above is required, with no less than 6.5 in each section.
International18975 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18975 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.