We have an interdisciplinary perspective on questions of peace, vulnerability and insecurity. You’ll gain a grounding in concepts of conflict, security and development. You’ll explore:
- how cycles of insecurity and violence affect development
- difficulties faced by various organisations negotiating spirals of violence and insecurity (for example during armed intervention, aid provision, peace-building processes or postconflict reconstruction)
- whether underdevelopment in the Global South facilitates the international spread of terrorist and criminal networks.
You’ll benefit from our cutting-edge research, international faculty and distinctive programme of events. We host the Sussex Centre for Conflict and Security Research, the Centre for Advanced International Theory and the Centre for Global Political Economy. You can also make use of our strong working relationships with many alumni, collaborators and partner organisations around the world.
Our Conflict, Security and Development MA is ideal for you if you wish to pursue a career in development, peace-building, international affairs, journalism or academic research. Or if you have a general interest in insecurity in the Global South.
Recent Conflict, Security and Development MA graduates at University of Sussex have gone on to jobs including:
- associate project officer, OSCE
- humanitarian programme manager, Solidarités International
- policy adviser, Cabinet Office, UK.
- Conflict, Security and Development
- New Security Challenges
- Genocide, Colonialism, and the International
- Global Ethics and International Relations
- Rethinking Imperialism
- Russia, Eurasia and the Crisis of the Liberal West
- The Middle East in Global Order
- The Political Economy of Development
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesInternational Development Terrorism & Security View 366 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
- You should normally have an upper second-class (2.1) undergraduate honours degree or above.
- Subject-specific requirements: Your qualification should preferably be in a social sciences or humanities subject; alternatively, you should have relevant professional experience or engagement.
International18975 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18975 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brighton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.