There are opportunities for concentrated study in a number of specific areas of pure and applied mathematics at both the master’s and doctoral levels. The faculty directs studies and research in algebra, number theory, analysis, geometry, topology, logic, differential equations, dynamical systems, probability theory, numerical analysis, numerical optimization, approximation theory, combinatorial analysis, graph theory, computer applications, biomathematics, mathematical physics, inverse problems, and medical imaging.
- In addition to the requirements of the Graduate School, the minimum prerequisite for admission to the program of graduate studies in mathematics is the completion, with an average grade of B or better, of at least 24 credits of undergraduate mathematics, including a full year of calculus and three semesters of appropriate work beyond the calculus. The most appropriate courses for this purpose are advanced calculus, linear algebra and abstract algebra. Students lacking part of the requirements will be required to make up the deficiency early in their graduate work.
- Students pursuing the master’s degree in Mathematics at University of Florida must pass two comprehensive written examinations, one in algebra and one in analysis or prepare and provide an oral defense of a thesis on original research conducted under the supervision of a faculty adviser. Students pursuing the Master of Arts in Teaching or the Master of Science in Teaching degree must prepare a teaching portfolio and pass an oral examination. Each of these programs normally requires two years for completion.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Advanced Calculus for Engineers and Physical Scientists
- Modern Analysis
- Complex Variables for Engineers and Physical Scientists
- Complex Analysis
- Advanced Topics in Functional Analysis
- Combinatorial Theory
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- Numerical Analysis
- Topics in Combinatorial Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- The deadlines for graduate school applications range from late December to early March. Most schools require you to complete your application folder in January.
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics View 380 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Florida and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A recognized baccalaureate, graduate or professional degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a comparable degree from an international institution.
- For applicants with a bachelor’s degree only, a minimum grade point average of B (3.0), calculated from all grades and credits after the semester where the applicant reached 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours is required. Applicants should refer directly to their intended academic units for Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) requirements. If required, academic test scores are used in the context of a holistic credential review process.
International30134 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30134 USD per year during 24 months.
National30134 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30134 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12740 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12740 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Gainesville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.