The Department of English at University of Florida offers the Master of Arts degree (thesis and nonthesis options) and the Doctor of Philosophy degree in English with the specializations listed below. Complete descriptions of the minimum requirements for the M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. degrees are provided in the Graduate Degrees section of this catalog. Specific areas of specialization for the Master of Arts and the Doctor of Philosophy include literature (Medieval, Renaissance, Restoration, and 18th-century and 19th-century British literature, American literature to 1900, contemporary British and American literature), American studies, critical theory, cultural studies, film and media studies, feminisms, genders and sexualities, postcolonial studies, composition and rhetoric, comics and visual rhetoric, and children’s literature.
New graduate students should have completed an undergraduate English major of at least 24 semester hours, and doctoral students should have a Master of Arts degree in English. Full information concerning courses of study is available from the graduate coordinator.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Studies in American Literature Before 1900
- Studies in 20th-Century American Literature
- Fiction Writing
- Studies in Literary Form
- Verse Writing
- Individual Work
- Advanced Business Writing for Accounting
- Digital English
- Psychological Approaches to Literature
- Literary Theory: Issues
- Literary Theory: Theorists
- Literary Theory: Forms
- The Language of Film
- Studies in the Movies
- Individual Work
- Supervised Research
- Film and Video Production
- Research for Master's Thesis
- Seminar in Variable Topics
- Advanced Research
- Research for Doctoral Dissertation
- Studies in Old English
- Studies in Middle English
- Studies in Renaissance Literature
- Studies in Restoration and 18th-Century Literature
- Studies in Romantic Literature
- Studies in Victorian Literature
- Studies in 20th-Century British Literature
- Supervised Teaching
- Writing Theories & Practices
- Approaches to Children's and Adolescent Literature
- Studies in Verse
- Studies in Drama
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesLiterature View 457 other Masters in Literature in United States
- A recognized baccalaureate, graduate or professional degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a comparable degree from an international institution.
- For applicants with a bachelor’s degree only, a minimum grade point average of B (3.0), calculated from all grades and credits after the semester where the applicant reached 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours is required. Applicants should refer directly to their intended academic units for Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) requirements. If required, academic test scores are used in the context of a holistic credential review process.
International30134 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30134 USD per year during 24 months.
National30134 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30134 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12740 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12740 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Gainesville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.