The Dr. Moses Strauss program M.Sc. in Marine Geosciences at University of Haifa combines research and graduate studies of the marine environment in the following main disciplines: exploration geophysics, seafloor mapping, remote sensing, geodynamics, tectonics, marine and coastal sedimentology, micropaleontology, pollution studies, hazards, marine geoarchaeology, modeling, geochemistry, chemical and physical oceanography. The department is part of the multidisciplinary Leon H. Charney School of Marine Sciences.
What you will study
Studies (in English) include hands-on and direct training in advanced methods of data acquisition, processing and analysis to decipher phenomena that occur in the marine geosphere. Research topics range from seafloor structure, the underlying Earth’s crust, the search for energy sources (oil, gas, hydrates), water body dynamics, sea level change and their relation to tectonics and climate, pollution fingerprints, coastline changes and, collectively, how this intertwines with the needs and actions of people.
Taught in English, the program can be completed in two years and begins every October. Coursework, field trips and an educational cruise are held during the first two semesters, the summer semester is dedicated to establishing a research proposal, while the second year is dedicated to conducting research. Students will be required to submit a research thesis at the end of the second year of the program. Upon completion of the program, students will be awarded a Master of Science in Marine Geosciences.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Geophysical Investigation of the Marine Environment
Signals Analysis - Fundamentals and Application
Geology of Marine Sediments
Scientific Writing and Research Presentation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeography Geology Marine Studies
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Haifa and/or in Israel, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Accredited B.Sc. degree from a recognized academic institution in geology, geophysics, marine science, engineering or other related sciences (complementary studies may be required), with a minimum grade of 80 or equivalent.
- Department pre-requisites are a basic knowledge of science in the following areas: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Atmosphere, English and Computers.
- TOEFL scores (if native language is not English or candidates have not previously studied in an institution of higher education where the language of instruction is English) of at least 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 80 (internet-based test).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research statement – goals and aims of the planned research (500-750 words)
- Official diploma and grade transcripts
- Suitable applicants will be interviewed.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International10600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10600 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Haifa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- University of Haifa Need-Based Scholarship
- Fulbright MA Degree Fellowships
- U.S. Federal Aid - Master's Programs Applicants
- MASA Israel Scholarship Program
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.