HCGES was founded in 2007 with the goal of exposing students, researchers, and the community at large to a rich spectrum of topics related to modern Europe, and Germany in particular, since 1945.
The international Master of Arts program in Modern German and European Studies at the University of Haifa is being launched as part of the teaching activities of the HCGES. The MA program is designed to acquaint students with topics related to Germany and Europe, highlighting Jewish and Israeli perspectives as well as the relationship between the Middle East and Europe. The program is interdisciplinary and allows students to approach German and European studies from a variety of angles while providing students with the opportunity to engage with other departments for a well-rounded education.
What you will study
The MA program in Modern German and European Studies aims to deepen students’ knowledge of Germany, Europe, and the European Union. The program is structured using the “area studies” model and offers a challenging and unique interdisciplinary curriculum that combines many fields of study including economics, law, political science, geography, environmental studies, sociology, history and literature. In addition to the core curriculum, students in the program acquire a strong command of the German language by studying 4-8 language hours per week. The program is available in two tracks: a thesis track and a non-thesis track. Students have the option to complete the program in one or two calendar years.
The program also includes an optional, though highly recommended, study tour to Germany and other European countries. The study tour is built around a chosen theme which changes every year. During the study tour, students visit EU institutions as well as other sites relevant to their studies. The cost of the study tour is not included in the program tuition.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureRequired Courses
- The German Political System
- Research Methods/Colloquium: Topics in German and European Studies
- Modern German History
- Basic Principles of European Law
- The European Union
- German Language
- Reading Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies European Studies View 12 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Israel
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A bachelor's degree, with a minimum GPA of 3.0, 80%, or the equivalent from an accredited university.
- Candidates who have not graduated from an academic institution where the language of instruction is English, or who are not native English speakers, must submit official TOEFL scores of at least 570 (in a written test), 230 (in a computerized test), or 89 (in an internet test) to be considered for admission.
- Two letters of recommendation from either academic (i.e. a professor) or professional (i.e. a supervisor) sources.
- Video interview
- Statement of Purpose
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9980 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Haifa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- University of Haifa Need-Based Scholarship
- Fulbright MA Degree Fellowships
- U.S. Federal Aid - Master's Programs Applicants
- MASA Israel Scholarship Program
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.