About the program
The Master of Arts (MA) program offered at the University of Chicago is a two-year program that enables students to explore the history, theology, beliefs, and languages of world religions though a variety of scholarly approaches. It is designed for students who wish to acquire the skills to develop a research agenda for doctoral study, or who want a broad and deep grounding in the academic study of religion in preparation for a wide range of professions.
Work at The University of Chicago Divinity School encompasses the full range of the academic study of religion.
The School generates knowledge about the history, theology, beliefs, and practices of world religions through a broad and rich array of methodological and theoretical approaches that is deeply informed, intellectually curious, and honestly engaged.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to the Study of Religion
- At least one course in each of the three faculty committees
- Demonstrated competence in either French or German through an exam or course from the Chicago Language Center
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , Local
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 655 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- Divinity School Application for Graduate Admission
- Personal statement reflecting intellectual influences and professional goals
- Academic transcripts from every institution attended
- At least three letters of recommendation with at least two letters from faculty members
- Official Scores on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) – School code 1832
- Current CV or resume
- Writing sample, not to exceed 15 pages, encouraged but not required
- Application fee: $75 (waiver available)
International24200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12100 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National24200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12100 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- Fee is for Full-time (3-4 courses)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.