This M.A. in Clinical Art Therapy Program at Long Island University (LIU) has been designed to allow Clinical Art Therapy & Counseling graduates the opportunity to qualify for licensing as Licensed Creative Arts Therapist in New York (LCAT), sit for their National Board Certification exam in Art Therapy (ATCB) and make an application to over 50 states as a Licensed Professional Counselor. This curriculum meets or exceeds standards for education set by down by the American Art Therapy Association. Individual students should check with their home States for specific educational requirements.
The integration of theory, practice, creativity and self-growth remains the ultimate goal of the program. We are committed to providing a quality experience that will prepare each student for a professional career in art therapy. Recent job placement data reveals that 95% of Long Island University graduates obtained a full-time art therapy position within one year of graduation.
Our students return year after year as guest speakers and as mentors, helping to guide current students towards their professional goals. Because our faculty has local, national and international visibility, students often make use of faculty contacts as a means of finding jobs, internships and other professional opportunities. Additionally, our alumni’s passing rate of the Art Therapy Credentials Board Examination (ATCBE) is within the 90th percentile.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories in Art Therapy and Counseling
- Drawing, Painting and Sculpture for the Art Therapist - Studio
- Multicultural Issues in Clinical Art Therapy
- History and Philosophy of Art Therapy
- Clinical Methods in Group Art Therapy with Adults
- Special Populations in Child/Adolescent Art Therapy and Art Education
- Therapeutic Systems in Family Art Therapy
- Internship I: Supervision Seminar
- Clinical Projectives and Art-Based Assessments
- Research Methods
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We have rolling admissions. As an international student it is important to apply as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to get your visa.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Counselling View 979 other Masters in Counselling in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Applicants to the Master of Arts must meet the following requirements for admission.
- Application for Admission
- Application fee: Non-refundable
- Official copies of your undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts from any college(s) or universities you have attended
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited school with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, although students exhibiting outstanding promise and merit may be considered. Students who do not meet the minimum Grade Point Average (3.0) and/or who are in need of prerequisites may be accepted on a limited matriculation basis.
International38220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 24 months.
National38220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1274 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.