On the one hand the Philosophy programme offered by Goethe University Frankfurt provides for a scientific confrontation with philosophy in its systematic breadth and allows students to acquire scientific knowledge and competences in dealing with both historic and current philosophical problems. On the other hand the Master’s degree programme provides for creation of individual major fields of study in which the student acquires deepened knowledge and understanding and learns to develop his own position and to defend it. By the end of the degree programme the student should have acquired the ability to make formal and contextually correct contributions to philosophical specialist discussions.
Aims of the programme
The students of philosophy deepen their central key competences during the degree programme, namely the ability to practice analytical thinking, to solve a problem, on argumentation, in dealing with challenging texts and media as well as mediation of complex issues in an understandable form. The programme of study aims to qualify the student for careers which demand pronounced analytical and communicative competences.
- Basic Module: Introduction to Logic
- Basic Module: Introduction to Philosophy
- Basic Texts of Utilitarianism
- Hermeneutics and Understanding
- Kant, Metaphysics of Morals
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 10 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Germany
To take the Master’s degree programme in Philosophy students can only be admitted who
- have completed a Bachelor degree programme with the main subject Philosophy (with at least 120 CP) or have completed a Bachelor degree programme with the minor subject Philosophy (with at least 60 CP) or have an at least equivalent degree from a German university or in an equivalent or related subject recognised by the admissions committee
- and a Master’s examination in the same subject at another university was not finally failed or the right to examination lost.
Knowledge of languages:
- Adequate knowledge of the English language to Level B1 according to the Common European Reference Framework for Languages (GER)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester fee: 366.71 EUR
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.