The MA Graphic Design Communication course aims to align current social and cultural issues alongside emerging design practices. It will give you a solid introduction to the debates and methodologies that are at the forefront of contemporary design. You will learn how to challenge and expand this knowledge within your personal design practice.
The course will enable you to become an advanced thinker and versatile practitioner. You will be a designer with the ability to respond to both familiar and unfamiliar challenges.
What you can expect
- A practice led course underpinned by critical design thinking and exploration
- Teaching from experienced postgraduate tutors. Each of which has their own personal specialist design / art practice and research
- A themed introduction to stimulate knowledge of contemporary design practice and discourse
- Access to library and special collection resources, shared studios and exhibition spaces
- To develop a rigorous design process. This will provide you with the means to use critical thinking, shape materials and forms, generate and communicate content, develop prototypes and engage with audience testing
- To seek inspiration and knowledge from tutors, college wide lectures, UAL postgraduate community events and London’s cultural industries
- To have access to Camberwell's shared workshops.
CareersMany graduates of the MA Graphic Design Communication at University of the Arts London (UAL) are employed in interdisciplinary design studios and as senior designers in graphic and communication design companies. Graduates have also founded their own design studios working across digital environments and physical spaces as well as specialist publishing and new forms of graphic content.
Exploring emergent design contexts and practices
- To develop your observational, research and analytical skills
- To be introduced to critical thinking within design-based practice
Developing a design framework: critical and practical
- To develop a design framework from which to work from
- To contribute to a working peer group identified by a shared theme
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Graphic Design View 119 other Masters in Communication Studies in United Kingdom
- BA (Hons) degree or equivalent academic qualifications
- Alternative qualifications and experience will also be taken into consideration
- Personal statement
- Portfolio of work
- A maximum of 30 images or other files such as animation, film or video
- A range of practical project work which demonstrates conceptual thinking, design iteration and effective outcomes
- Aspects of development work which explore experimentation beyond obvious conventions of graphic design communication practice. This can include inventive and engaging responses in relation to a brief or commercial environment
- As part of your application please include a 2-3 minute video to describe an organisation, network, or community that you would like to become involved with on a personal and professional level.
- A willingness to engage with emergent practices of graphic design communication
International23610 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23610 GBP per year during 15 months.
National11550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 GBP per year during 15 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.