You’ll gain valuable skills and a competitive skill set to bring to a variety of workplaces. We train our graduate students in three areas of specialization: linguistic theory, applied linguistics and Indigenous language revitalization. We offer a PhD program that focuses on your specific research interests in any of the areas of specialization.
In our Linguistics MA at University of Victoria, British Columbia, you’ll research everything from language variation to theoretical linguistics. You’ll also study topics in language revitalization and community-based research. This degree program combines coursework with a thesis and a public presentation. You’ll receive mentorship from a supervisor with expert knowledge in your research area.
Areas of focus
- Phonetics, phonology, morphology and syntax
- Indigenous languages of North American and the Pacific Rim
- Applied linguistics, second language acquisition
- Current Issues in Generative Grammar
- Current Issues in Morphology
- Current Issues in Phonology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 78 other Masters in Language Studies in Canada
- Although it is possible to enter the program at any entry point listed under Entry Points, September entry is advised, as many of the courses listed for the Spring term have prerequisite courses given only in the Fall. Graduate courses are seldom offered in the Summer Session.
- The admissions selection process is competitive. Not all students who meet the minimum requirements will be admitted. Typically, between eight and twelve students are admitted to the program each year.
- Admission to the program requires a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Linguistics, with a minimum overall average of B+ (6.0 GPA) in the final year’s work. Students without the necessary background in Linguistics may be considered for admission upon completion of LING 311 and/or LING 312 or equivalent with First Class standing.
International5074 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5074 CAD per year during 24 months.
National4022 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4022 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.