Our programs combine challenging and intensive study. You’ll have the opportunity to develop teaching, research, and professional profiles. You’ll graduate prepared for jobs that focus on writing, research, and analysis inside and outside of and academia.
Areas of focus
- British, Canadian, American and Irish literature
- Postcolonial literature
- Critical theory
- Period-focused literature
- Digital humanities and media studies
Our MA English program at University of Victoria, British Columbia provides advanced courses in literary periods, genres, methods, and theory. You'll gain a solid foundation in research through your coursework and a final long essay or critical project.
Our MA has three optional specialized concentrations: medieval and early modern studies (MEMS), nineteenth century studies (NCS), and cultural, social and political thought (CSPT).
- Teaching English in Higher Education (1.5)
- Studies in Literary Theory: Area Course (1.5)
- Digital Literary Studies: History and Principles (1.5)
- Studies in Middle English Literature: Area Course (1.5)
- Studies in Renaissance Literature: Area Course (1.5)
- Studies in the Literature of the 17th Century: Area Course (1.5)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 107 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
- The admission selection process is competitive. Applications are reviewed by the Graduate Admissions and Records Office and then by the English Graduate Committee, who usually makes admission decisions in February and March.
- In addition to the application materials required by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, the department requires a statement of intent (not to exceed 1 typed page for MA applicants or 2 typed pages for PhD applicants), a 10–15 page typed essay demonstrating advanced literary and/or critical studies ability, and a CV.
- Admission to the MA program requires a bachelor’s degree, preferably with an Honours or Major that includes courses in all or most areas of English literature including critical theory, with a minimum overall average of at least A- (7.0 GPA on a 9-point scale; 3.7 GPA on a 4-point scale) in the final two full years of credit units.
International5280 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2640 CAD per semester during 12 months.
National4186 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2093 CAD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Victoria
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.