Despite the efforts of multilateral organisations, governments and philanthropists, more than 700 million people (around 10 per cent of the world’s population) still live in extreme poverty – often without adequate clean water, food or access to healthcare. As inequality continues to increase around the world, we desperately need more skilled professionals who understand the complexities of the development sector and who can help fight this alarming trend.
If you're passionate about supporting our world's most vulnerable communities, the Master of International Development at La Trobe University will give you strong foundations to advance your career in the humanitarian and development sector.
Build a meaningful career and learn how to create sustainable, positive change in areas where we need it most. You'll learn from experienced experts as you choose from a wide range of specialisations and specially curated electives, allowing you to pursue your passion.
You'll learn how to build strong relationships in the development sector and have the opportunity to undertake an internship or placement with a local or international development organisation, helping you to further build your skills and networks.
After graduation, you could work across a wide range of organisations, including multilateral development organisations, government and intergovernmental agencies, media organisations and not-for-profits, community-based and non-government organisations, and research or training institutions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Academic Integrity Module
- Development in Practice
- Gender Mobility and Development
- How Social Change Happens
- Human Security and Development
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
La Trobe University assesses applications on a rolling basis which means you can apply for the next upcoming intake or available future intakes.
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development International Business View 138 other Masters in International Business in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at La Trobe University and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- CRICOS code: 079183B
- Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent).
- Prior learning developed through relevant work experience or professional accreditation, where it is deemed to be at least equivalent to that obtained through a Bachelor's degree, may be considered. In making an offer to an applicant, the University will give consideration to a range of factors, including academic record, English proficiency and/or employment experience.
- Applicants with an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a cognate discipline or area and marks reflective of the capacity to work at the masters level will receive credit of up to 60 credit points.
- 6.5 IELTS (Academic) with no individual band less than 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International35800 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35800 AUD per year during 24 months.
National22600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22600 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.