The Art History and Visual Studies program of University of Victoria, British Columbia immerses students in art history research and explore topics you are passionate about alongside expert faculty members.
In addition to opportunities for teaching and research assistantships, internships, co-op education and travel funding, our graduate students have their own study space close to faculty offices and a near-by coffee shop in the Fine Arts Building.
In their programs, you can work directly with art from the UVic Legacy Art Galleries’ collection as part of coursework offered in our Collections classroom. On campus, you can view over 2,000 artworks installed in public spaces and have access to the Legacy Maltwood Gallery and UVic Special Collections in the McPherson Library. More exhibitions drawn from the university’s collection can be viewed year round at the Legacy Downtown.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Colloquium in Theories and Practices
- Workshop in Art Historical Writing
- Special Topics in Art History and Visual Studies
- Seminar in Medieval Art
- Seminar in the Contemporary Art of South and Southeast Asia
- Seminar in Late Medieval and Early Renaissance Art, c. 1200-1500
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application form (online form can be saved and accessed again)
- Unofficial copies of transcripts from all post-secondary institutes you have attended
- 2 academic references: please provide names and email addresses
- Curriculum vitae
- 1-2 page statement of purpose
- A sample of written art-historical research (you may submit a copy of one of your undergraduate papers from your 4th year)
- Application fee
- If English is not your first language, or was not the language of instruction for a recent degree, you will be required to provide IELTS or TOEFL scores that demonstrate English proficiency
International6499 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6499 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5182 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5182 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.