Previous graduates have gone on to work at health and human services organisations such as Anglicare, Centrelink and the Department of Human Services, as well as various health services and hospitals both locally and abroad. When you graduate, you'll be equipped to take on roles in a range of specialist areas including child protection and family services, aged care, indigenous support, housing services, mental health, family services, protective services, refugee and asylum seeker support services, social justice advocacy and more . Due to the wide range of important services provided by social workers, the demand for skilled and compassionate social workers is high and expected to see considerable growth into the future.* More recently, social workers are employed to support communities impacted by disasters due to climate change.
La Trobe's Master of Social Work gives you the skills and knowledge to turn your passion for social justice into a thriving career. Whether you're looking to advance your career or move into a rewarding new field, you'll gain the hands-on expertise to help people in need.
Learn from world-class academics with extensive backgrounds in social work practice, including specialists in areas such as addiction, child and family welfare, disability, and mental health.
Graduate ready to take on roles in a range of fields including child protection, family services, aged care, disability, corrections, Indigenous, mental health, environmental protection, social justice and settings.
Possible roles include:
- Senior social worker
- Oversee the support services conducted in a community or a particular area, coordinate social workers, handle issues or concerns and manage schedules.
- Mental health social worker
- Work with individuals with psychological problems and help improve their quality of life.
- School counsellor
- Provide counselling and educational development for students experiencing psychological, social, behavioural or emotional difficulties.
- Child and family support worker
- Help children and families in need by providing emotional and practical assistance.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Social Work with Individuals, Families & Groups: Applications
- Fields of Social Work Practice
- Law, Human Rights, and Ethics in Social Work Practice
- Social Work Applications
- Professional Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
La Trobe University assesses applications on a rolling basis which means you can apply for the next upcoming intake or available future intakes.
DisciplinesSocial Work View 59 other Masters in Social Work in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS code: 110240B
- Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent).
- WAM - Weighted Average Mark (WAM) 60%
- Specialisation - recommended: Studies in arts, social sciences, psychology, teaching, nursing or business-related areas.
- All applicants can complete and submit a Personal Statement.
- 7.0 IELTS (Academic) with no individual band less than 7.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33600 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33600 AUD per year during 24 months.
National26800 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26800 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.