The Marine Biology programme offered by the University of Bremen is strongly research-orientated. The graduates are trained to develop hypotheses-driven research concepts and to design appropriate experimental approaches in order to answer profound questions related to the large field of marine ecosystem and organism functioning and of potential impacts of local, regional and global environmental change.
Employment opportunities for Marine Biologists exist worldwide at institutions committed to research and development, in the fishing and aquaculture industry as well as in the environmental conservation and management sector at governmental agencies or within NGOs and IGOs. Marine biologists also work at museums, zoological gardens, and aquaria. Additional employment opportunities for marine biologists include adjacent fields such as media (i.e. scientific journalism), eco-consulting, environmental impact assessments, and eco-tourism business. Marine biologists are also employed in the commercial and industrial sector, for instance for "Blue Biotechnology", coastal zone management and the sustainable use of marine resources.
- Lab Safety and Fire Prevention Workshop
- Principles of Marine Biology and Biological Oceanography
- Principles of Marine Ecophysiology
- Experimental Design and Data Analysis: Parameter Estimations and Tests
- Marine Geosciences
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Biology Marine Studies View 11 other Masters in Marine Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor (B.Sc.) degree in biology, ecology, environmental sciences, oceanography or a closely related discipline
- with an overall grade of at least 2.5 according to the German grading scheme, in which 1.0 equals "excellent", 2.0 "good", 3.0 "satisfactory", 4.0 "sufficient", and 5.0 "fail". Grades from international applicants will be converted to the German grading scheme by the university administration.
- Fluency in English is required according to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and must be proven for instance by a UniCERT III certificate or a IELTS score of at least 7 or a Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE).
- Curriculum Vitae,
- Letter of Motivation in English language,
- Transcript of Study Records
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
In Bremen, there are no tuition fees. But you do have to pay a semester contribution: 386,39 euro.
Living costs for Bremen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.