Where better to study art history and curatorship than surrounded by Australia’s national cultural and collecting institutions? What’s more, where better to study Art History than in Australia’s premier practice-led research institution, the ANU School of Art & Design. Here, you will study the history of art while surrounded by the making of art.
Upon successful completion of the Art History and Curatorial Studies (Advanced) program at the Australian National University, students will have the skills and knowledge to:
- differentiate and critique at an advanced level the historical, social, cultural and political contexts of diverse periods, styles, and methods in Art History
- closely analyse at an advanced level individual works of art, and interpret and communicate ideas to both specialist and non-specialist audiences using disciplinary language and conventions;
- construct comprehensive linkages between the study of Art History and the practicalities of curating;
- complete a major piece of research in the field of Art History and Curatorial Studies
Graduates from ANU have been rated as Australia's most employable graduates and among the most sought after by employers worldwide.
The latest Global Employability University Ranking, published by the Times Higher Education, rated ANU as Australia's top university for getting a job for the fourth year in a row.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- City Sites: studies in art and urbanity
- Modernism and Postmodernism in Art and Design: 1850-2000
- Art and Its Context: Materials Techniques Display
- Photography and Art
- Art of the Modern Print
- Art and Architecture of Southeast Asia: Tradition and Transformation
- Art and Architecture of Asia: Continuity and Change
- Postmodern Sublime
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Art History View 14 other Masters in Art History in Australia
- A Bachelor degree or international equivalent with a minimum GPA of 6.0/7.0, and the approval of an identified supervisor for the research project/thesis.
- Students must have the written agreement of an identified supervisor in order to enrol in Thesis in a specified semester one calendar year in advance of the start date of that semester. Students who do not have the written agreement of an identified supervisor one calendar year in advance, or whose agreed supervisor either subsequently leaves the university or is on leave from the university, will be transferred to the Master of Art History and Curatorial Studies.
International44470 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44470 AUD per year during 24 months.
National28910 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28910 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- ANU offers a wide range of scholarships to students to assist with the cost of their studies.
- Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.