Transport touches almost every aspect of our day-to-day lives and the MSc in Transport and Planning from Cardiff University (recognised by the RTPI and CIHT) encourages you to address the challenges ahead for developing the transport systems of tomorrow.
Spanning the disciplines of transport analysis, economics and policy, you will acquire the knowledge and critical understanding to make a significant contribution to the development, scrutiny and management of transport and urban systems. After graduation, you will be well-placed to make your mark in the industry and help transform and innovate transport planning, improving the economic, social, health and environmental well-being of people and places.
You’ll receive a broad education with a focus on enabling you to:
- Explain and demonstrate the principles and practice of transport scheme appraisal and evaluation.
- Collect, retrieve, analyse and interpret data to better understand travel behaviour and aid in the development and assessment of transport policies.
- Grasp the principles and key characteristics of transport planning models and related analysis techniques used in the development, design and assessment of transport policies, plans and schemes.
- Comprehend the key aspects of sustainable travel options and their promotion to individual transport users to improve economic, social and environment sustainability.
- Explore the policy and administrative frameworks within which transport schemes are developed, assessed, financed, monitored, and reviewed.
- Examine the legal and regulatory frameworks within which transport planners work.
The programme offers the knowledge and expertise for a career in major transport planning and engineering consultancies, local authorities and transport operators. Its accredited status also means you will have the opportunity to develop your professional profile and network (e.g. through the CIHT Young Professional Network).
The course offers the knowledge and expertise for a career in major transport planning and engineering consultancies, local authorities and transport operators.
Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation (CIHT)Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI)
- Principles of Transport Economics
- Researching Transport
- Transport and the City
- Transport Analysis
- Sustainable Transport Policies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Transport Management Urban Planning View 277 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
- Applicants should normally hold a minimum 2:2 degree in an appropriate subject. This MSc is suitable for graduates in geography, architecture, planning, transport, engineering, science and social science.
- Applicants with good degrees in other disciplines and/or mature students with a relevant professional background (e.g. MILT, MCIT, MRTPI, CEng) or qualifications will also be considered.
- If English is not your first language a minimum standard in English language of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent will be required. Pre-course English Language tuition is available.
- If your offer to study at Cardiff University is conditional on IELTS, we recommend that you take the ‘IELTS for UKVI’ test at an approved centre. This will give you greater flexibility regarding how to meet the English Language conditions of your offer. Please note that ‘IELTS for UKVI’ is the only test outside the UK that can be accepted for entry to Pre-sessional English Language programmes.
International19450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19450 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.