The Chemistry with Balanced Science Postgrad. Cert. degree offered at Aberystwyth University offers tests in these subjects if you do not have these requirements. Together with your fellow students on the primary and other secondary programmes, you will study the principles of effective pedagogy, assessment, lesson and curriculum planning. You will participate actively in learning, contributing to seminars, delivering presentations and engaging critically with research. During the University sessions, you will plan and deliver microlessons in preparation for the practical element of the course.
On placement, you will work closely with your subject mentor and the University Link Tutor to develop your practical skills in teaching. In addition to specialist placements in secondary schools, you will experience a short placement in a primary school working with skilled primary teachers. You will also undertake an action research project to develop an aspect of your practice and begin your career as a research-informed teacher.
Assessment on the course takes a range of forms including, for example: essays, reflective writing, presentations, lesson plans, action research project. There are no formal examinations. Assessment of practice takes place throughout all three placements on a continuous basis.
- Effective Pedagogy
- Evaluating Learning and Skills
- Pedagogy and Curriculum Knowledge
- Professional Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesChemistry Pedagogy Teaching View 75 other Masters in Pedagogy in United Kingdom
- A degree, at least 50% of which is Chemistry-related. We consider students with degrees in related subjects, for example, Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering. There will be gaps in subject knowledge for all students and the course is designed to address this issue.
- Where an equivalent to a grade B in either English Literature or Welsh Literature is achieved, a minimum of a grade C must be achieved in the corresponding GCSE examination in English or Welsh (First) Language. A grade B in the GCSE Examination in Mathematics or Mathematics-Numeracy must also be achieved.
- Copies of University transcripts (certified translated copies are required if original document is not in English or Welsh).
- Copies of Degree certificates (certified translated copies are required if original document is not in English or Welsh).
- Personal statement within 1-2 A4 pages.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberystwyth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.